Monday, August 10, 2009

A Health(ier) Spaghetti and Meatballs Dish

For dinner this evening I was craving spaghetti and meatballs, but I wanted to make a healthier version. I decided to try making "chicken meatballs" - although I wasn't too sure if it was possible to make a good spaghetti and meatball dish with chicken. I decided to try it anyway.
I started the sauce with a can of whole tomatoes with herbs and spices already in it (I blended the tomatoes in a mini blender) and tossed them into the saucepan.

I added fresh herbs from my pots in the backyard (chives, oregano, and basil).

I also added some pepper, and a pinch of both cinnamon and nutmeg, and 2 whole cloves. I added garlic powder, and let the sauce simmer for about 1 hr.


Meanwhile, I mixed together:
- About 1 lb ground chicken (extra lean)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- Dried oregano, pepper, and salt (I didn't measure)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

I then made the meatballs and browned them in a frying pan on both sides. Once browned and firm, I gently placed the meatballs in the simmering sauce and covered it for about 20 minutes or so. I tossed a couple tablespoons of parm cheese right into the sauce too.

I boiled up some organic spelt spaghetti noodles (which are the ONLY non - white spaghetti noodles I have found that taste just as good, if not better, than the real thing).

The final product was excellent!! Who would have thought you can make spaghetti and meatballs with chicken!! I was very impressed with the flavor and texture of the meatballs. I didn't miss the beef at all. Yummmmy.

What classic recipes have you altered?

No comments: