Friday, September 11, 2009

Last night (after my lame dinner) the hunger really struck. I made myself a "chocolate banana" green monster with 1 cup of regular chocolate milk, 4 large handfuls of spinach, 1 banana, and 1 scoop of chia seeds:

It was SO good! But - I probably won't be making one the same way anytime soon. I don't usually drink chocolate milk for 2 reasons:

1) The sugar content is atrocious
2) I don't really drink milk in general (it bothers my stomach, and I don't think it is the healthiest food out there)

This was the first time that I had chocolate milk in many years. It tasted really good with the banana :-)

Now on to this mornings breakfast ... PANCAKES!

Hubby got up early and made pancakes this morning (he occasionally does that on Fridays - make pancakes I mean ... he always gets up earlier than me :-)

I ate about 2 and 1/2 and dipped them in syrup. I like to dip better than soak my pancakes in the syrup because pouring it all over makes them soggy and I usually end up eating way more syrup than necessary.

Now I am going to grab my java and head to work for the day! (I don't always mention it, but I always have 1 cup of black coffee every morning ... other than that I drink water the rest of the day unless I post differently).

9/11 today. I still find it hard to believe that that tragic day ever happened. Where were you when you heard the news? I was driving to the University for class and I could not believe what I was hearing ... the whole school was stunned, and the professors changed their lecture plans and instead gave their class time to discuss, and watch the news etc..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just got home from school and turned the TV on. The first plane had hit and at first I thought it was a film I couldn't believe this was happening for real and then the second plane hit. A very sad day.

Taylor

Angie said...

Hi Jolene!

Just found your blog - look forward to reading more.

I was driving to day 2 of my new job on 9/11/01 - such a tragic day - I remember it like it was yesterday!

Simply Life said...

I've never had chia seeds before - what are they like? Where do you buy them? Do you usually add them into things as a "topping?" Your breakfast looks great! I love pancakes!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Simply Life - Chia seeds are a very nutritious food with a lot of amino acids. I only bought them about a week ago for the first time, because I saw them on another blog. I bought them from the health/ organic section of shoppers drug mart. If you search in google you can find all kinds of health benefits listed. I have only used them in green monsters so far (smoothies), but you could use them the same way you would flax seeds (sprinkle on yogurt, oats etc).