Monday, May 10, 2010

It's Easy Being Green


F


ood and nutrition are my passions.

I have done more research in this area than anything I ever done in school for Education or Psychology - see this old post for some photos of some of my many "foodie" books! I am always looking for new reading material in the foodie area ... do you have any recommendations for me?

In all of my research, one simple dietary guideline stands out - EAT AS MANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES as you can! Not rocket science!

Today, I did.

Breakfast was a Green Monster:


(3 giant handfuls of spinach, 1 cup almond breeze, 1 T almond butter, 1/2 banana, 1 pack amazing grass, 1 pack wheat grass, 1 scoop hemp/ cacao/ maca powder given to me by Navitas Naturals) - Approx. 5 servings of fruits/veggies.

Lunch was some Mac and Cheese, a bunch of strawberries and 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt.


(1.5 servings of fruit)

For dinner I made a chicken, portobella, and asparagus curry served on bulgur.


(1 serving of veggies)

My snack this evening was courtesy of my impulse purchase after work today ....

A VITA-MIX!!!!!

Costco was demoing them, and I just couldn't resist.

Say hello to my little friend:



I made a pretty fantastic juice with it this evening. The best part about "juicing" with the Vita-Mix is that you don't have any waste. You are getting the ENTIRE fruit or veggie. I pulverized 1 cup cantaloupe, 1 kiwi, 1 apple, 1 yellow pepper, and a handful of spinach:




(4 servings of fruits/veggies)

BOOM!!



How's that for nutrients?

Total fruits and veggies today: 11.5

Do you read foodie books? Magazines? Did any book change the way you think about food and nutrition?

What is one dietary guideline that you have read a lot about? (Bogus or not).






14 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

ow wow u really did take the recommendations and run with them. love all the fruits and veg! yeah girl!!!

i def. enjoy foodie books and magazines. i think it opened me up to new ideas of using dif foods or how i think of foods. also taught me better ways of combining groups of foods. hmm i keep hearing over and over that exercise isnt as important but eating healthy is. like 80% is diet 20% is exercise... not sure if that is 100% correct lol.. but thats just what im always hearing. great questions!

Simply Life said...

wow, that does look great and full of nutrients!

Becca said...

I don't mind smoothies and juice, etc. But the green colour is totally throwing me off...

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

I'm greener than that smoothie with envy. I totally want a Vita-Mix. Were they cheaper at costco?

Anonymous said...

I've read some foodie books and I love it. It gives me something to think about!

Anonymous said...

I love reading food magazines but haven't really read any food BOOKS. :( I still want to read fast food nation!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm jealous of your mixer! I don't have one and these green monsters are poppingu up everywhere and they look awesome!

Kat said...

The cake pan was a present from william sonoma :)
I love love love nutrition and exercise books...its what Im studying for school :)
When I go to a book store thats the section I always go too lol I should keep track of my fruit and vegie intake like you do...Im hoping mine would be alot too!

Kacy said...

I'm so jealous of your vitamix! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Geez, make me feel like a lazy lump. You are an inspiration.

leah noelle said...

hey sis, how much was the mixer? I need to get one! I hate how when I use my juicer, there is so much waste.

Anonymous said...

Can't remember buying a food magazine. Won't buy one now either as there's all these food bloggers online now to get great ideas :-)

2 things I read and I try and do now are get protein at every meal and get enough fibre each day.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

Oh. My. GOSH. I am so jealous of your Vita Mix!!
And go you for all those fruits and veggies! Yay!

Amber said...

I have been reading a lot about going vegetarian lately actually! It's been interesting and eye opening. Right now I'm reading the book Eating Animals and I highly recommend it if you are interested in things like nutrition and food!

I totally agree - fruits and veggies for the win!!!!