Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In Like a LION!!!!

Today was the coldest March 1st we have had in 90 years in my city.  I could feel my blood freezing as I made my way the whole 10 meters from my house to my car this morning.  With the wind it was -40 C.  I am not impressed.

It was pretty cold last night too, so the hubby and I had soup for supper.  We just made Lipton chicken noodle with a grilled provolone and apple sandwich.  I love adding apple or pear to my grilled cheese sandwiches.  Have you ever tried it?


This morning I had a warm bowl of oats (unsweetened chocolate almond breeze, quick oats, PB, 1/2 banana).  Lunch was chicken and rice, as well as yogurt with chia seeds and PB. 


We had an incredible dinner this evening - mushroom risotto stuffed peppers.


Directions:
Make my amazing mushroom risotto (step-by-step recipe).  Cut peppers in half length wise, take out core and seeds, and then fill with some of the risotto.  Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes.  Add some more risotto to the plate - depending on size of peppers.

This supper was to-die-for!  After dinner I made Jessica's Hot Cocoa cookies to take to work for my colleagues. 


Hot Cocoa Cookies 
Recipe from: How Sweet Eats

makes approximately 24 cookies
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Stir in marshmallow fluff.  Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove, and roll into 1 1/2-inch balls.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before removing cookies.


Mmmmmmmmm!

Did March come in like a lion or like a  lamb where you are?
Have you ever made stuffed peppers?  What did you stuff them with?


17 comments:

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) said...

Ny mom makes stuffed peppers with ground meat, veggies, rice or breadcrumbs, and cooks them in red sauce. They're so good!

I have wanted to try apple on a cheese sandwich. Sweet and savory always wins me over!

Losing in the City said...

i love adding pear with brie on a cheese sandwich, it's amazing.. i haven't made stuff peppers, need to try there are so many fun delicious items you can include in a pepper

Unknown said...

Wow, those cookies look amazing!

sophia said...

Okay, I had to mentally calculate celcius to fahrenheit...but damn that is COLD!!!!!!!! Jolene, you promised a trip to LA. When? When? When?!

P.S. I don't really like stuffed peppers...bc I don't like peppers, but once I stuffed them with a cheesy crab filling!

Anonymous said...

It snowed here tonight but wasn't that cold... -40, can't say I miss that!! You need to head to hot yoga ASAP... it will feel like you jetted off to a tropical island, if only for an hour. Those cookies look AMAZING. I want one for breakfast...

Simply Life said...

oh that sandwich combination looks amazing! wow, that is cold!

Anonymous said...

i don't even know how you function at that weather. seriously it's a gorgeous 40-50 degree day here in TExas...MAIL ME COOKIES!

Unknown said...

Fruit + cheese is a fab combo, no matter how ya do it. Your sandwich looks so stuffed and so gooey, yum!

I've never stuffed peppers, but I have done a really yummy lentil-stuffed tomato that I bet would be delicious in a pepper!

Anonymous said...

oatmeal!!!!!
i eat it every single morning!
i also ix it with some yoghurt!
xx
s

Anonymous said...

With the temps where you are, I don't think I can ever complain of being cold again! I've never tried adding an apple or pear to my grilled cheese, but I heard it's amazing. March came in like a lion for me yesterday!

Shannon said...

I recently bought Chia seed and have yet to use it in anything but a protein shake. When you add to other foods, do you find that it has a taste or just texture??
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm, marshmallows. those cookies look amazing!

lion here, too, since I'm just north of you. wish this would pass quickly, but it looks like it's going to be hanging around for awhile! yuck.

Kacy said...

I've never made stuffed peppers but I sure wouldn't mind eating those :)

It was a beautiful day here yesterday. Sorry about your cold weather!

Joyti said...

I made soup last night too - a mushroom soup with dried porcinis, fresh chanterelles and maitakes, with walnut bread and buttermilk blue cheese toasts.
I've never had pear on cheese, but I love apple and brie sandwiches. Yum! I think you just gave me some lunch inspiration.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

All of these meals and treats look so comfy cozy!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ufda, that is cold! It was cold here today, too. 3/1 wasn't too bad, but today it was -12F. Way too cold for Mar. It felt like January! I am so over winter!

Those stuffed peppers look delish! I have never made stuffed peppers, but I have made stuffed pepper soup, which I love!

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

Lion!!!! We were actually getting freezing and snow here in Vancouver....ugghhh...

Mmmm these cookies look divine....and very store bought! Great job ;)

xxoo