Saturday, February 25, 2012

Homemade Kimchi

If you are as passionate about kimchi as I am, it is probably best if you just make it yourself.


Homemade Kimchi
(Adapted slightly from: drbenkim.com)

1 head Napa cabbage
1/4 cup sea salt or kosher salt
1 cup or so warm water
1/4 cup red chili flake powder (kochukaru or Korean chili powder)
1/4 cup warm water
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger
3-4 thinly sliced green onions
2 T fish sauce
small apple (or half a large apple)
small pear (or half a large pear)
half a yellow onion
1 cup water

Separate the cabbage leaves and chop them into large bite size pieces (they will shrink a lot).  Put the cabbage into a bowl (it will look like a lot).  Mix the salt with the cup of warm water and stir until the salt dissolves.  You can add more water if needed.


Pour the salt water over the cabbage, toss and let it sit at room temperature for 4 hours, tossing every once in a while.  After 4 hours it will have reduced in size.


Strain and rinse well 2-3 times.  Return the cabbage to the bowl. Mix the powder with 1/4 warm water, the ginger, garlic, green onions and fish sauce.

 

Toss everything with the cabbage using gloves or plastic bags over your hands so the powder doesn't burn you.  Blend the onion, pear and apple in a high power blender or food processor until smooth and toss with cabbage.


Cover and leave out for 24 hours at room temperature to begin the fermentation process.  It will keep in the fridge for about a month and continue to ferment.  But ... if you are anything like me, this won't last 2 days in your house!


Do you like kimchi?  Have you ever made it?

9 comments:

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Mmmm I've never seen a recipe like this before - I've seen kimchi recipes, but never with apple/pear!

Sounds awesome. I am trying a sauerkraut recipe right now, but it's taking FOREVER to ferment!

Will try this recipe for sure though!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I have never had kimchi but it sounds like something I would like!!

Why am I here??? said...

WOW, you're brave! I don't make kimchi even though I eat it nearly every second day ;) Great job ;)

Anonymous said...

Have not tried it - I'm just not really an adventurous eater :) Also, saw the pics of those crazy brownies. Whoa. I'm sure my family would eat some, but I'd eat the majority. Which is why I don't bake often.

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] said...

omg this is awesome. i've been wanting to make some! :)

Joss said...

I have never had it before!

Allysia said...

Kimchi is amazing, though typically I have to make it myself since there's almost always fish sauce in commercial/restaurant kinds! But homemade kimchi is hardly a tragedy. :) Adding the apple and pear is a cool idea too. Do they assist fermentation at all, or are they just added for flavor?

Kacy said...

This looks great! I've been experimenting with Korean cooking lately so I'll definitely have to try this.

patrice said...

I like that you don't press yours! I've never made kimchi because I couldn't think of anything to weight it down with! Will try this technique!