Friday, July 6, 2012

Beef Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms

Many years ago one of my favourite restaurants in the city closed.  It was a Japanese restaurant called Neo Japonica.  I was really sad because this restaurant had my favourite appetizer - beef wrapped enoki mushrooms.  After years of longing for this dish, I decided to try and recreate it myself.  I marinated some thinly sliced steak in sesame oil, then wrapped it around enoki mushrooms and grilled it.  Very simple, yet very tasty.  The perfect little bundles of umami and savoury crunch.

 
 
 

While reaching for the sesame oil, I had about four spices fall from the cupboard.  My spice cupboard is a problem as it is too full!  I decided it was time to clean it out and organize it a bit better.  In the process I came across this:

Artificial Vanilla Extract
 Disgusting.  There is only one place for this vile stuff ...


I kept these two around though:


Okay - one task done, now off to bake, do laundry, and clean the floors before a fun-filled weekend.  This weekend I am going to a concert in the park and The Buddy Holly Story at the Globe Theatre. 

Any of your favourite restaurants ever close?
What are you up to this weekend?  

Need a new blog to read? If so, check out my sister's blog at Apolaustic Soul.
(Even if you don't need any new blogs to read, you should check it out anyway.  She is sorta cool - in a unicorn kind of way). 

4 comments:

Kacy said...

Those look really good!
My fave Chinese place growing up closed down before I started high school. I thought the town might riot! Haha. We didn't have very many restaurants.

LoLy said...

WOW, these look SO GOOD :D

Allysia said...

Neo Japonica - THAT'S what it was called! I used to be passionately in love with that cute little place! And I have a bottle of the Kirkland vanilla too, gotta love Costco. :) Were you at Summer Invasion? I was out of town so I missed it!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yes, a favorite restaurant of mine closed a couple of years ago. The owner wanted to focus on another restaurant that he owned (that I am not a fan of), but I recently heard he is re-opening the old space! Woo hoo!

That app looks awesome!