Sunday, April 14, 2013

Road Trip

We went on a little road trip this weekend to visit my mom, and had a bit of a kerfuffle, but it all worked out in the end.  On Friday evening we ate at Chianti, and then crashed early.


Saturday morning we ate at Poached.  


Christopher had crab cake Benedict, and I had a French omelet.


After breakfast we grabbed my mom some McDonald's junior chicken sandwiches (she loves those things) and some items from Safeway.  On the way to Safeway Christopher's front left wheel started making an awful noise.  When we tried to leave the Safeway parking lot, we couldn't.  The tire wouldn't turn at all.

We called a tow truck and luckily a really helpful tow truck driver showed up in no time.  He made a bunch of phone calls to see if someone could get the car into the shop that day.  Eventually Kal Tire, only minutes away, said that they could get us in right away, and he towed us there.  They handed us keys to a loaner car, and we were still able to get to my mom before her burgers got cold.  The car was then fixed in time for us to pick it up at the end of the day and head to my half-sister Kim and her husband Errol's place for dinner.

We had never been to their home before - it is gorgeous!  I was loving the wallpaper in the living room:

 
 

A love for cooking runs in the family.  Everyone I'm related to can cook! 

The appetizer was a beautiful combination of strawberry, basil, bocconcini cheese, 25 year old balsamic and truffle oil.


We then had cream of poblano pepper soup with bread.


The main course was rib roast, bacon barley risotto, and Brussels fried with bacon - ummmm, I think someone might know about my love for bacon.  I'm so transparent ;-)


The meal was fantastic!

I must have forgotten to grab a photo of the dessert, but it was a delicious trifle.  We had a fun evening and a great little "mini vacation" - I love to get away, even if it's only for two nights.

Do you like little road trips?  
Have you ever had car trouble while in another city?

The problem with the car was a broken tire rod, and some middle piece that it connects to.  It was over $800 to fix, but the whole situation could have been a lot worse - we were very thankful that it didn't break on the highway.

4 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, the love of cooking really does run in your family! That house looks beautiful and that meal looked amazing. Yea for lots of bacon in the dishes. :)

I am not a huge road trip fan but that is because I am always driving alone and I just get so bored when driving. I did have car trouble 2 falls ago when I was back in North Dakota for a wedding. I just got a flat tire and was close enough to home for my dad to come and change it, but waiting around for a tire shop to open on a Sunday was really frustrating!

Anonymous said...

I love road trips - they are so much fun!

Lisa said...

Your food adventures always leave me wanting to be more adventurous, too! I can't believe the variety of the dishes you had, what a fun road trip!

Kacy said...

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful home and spread! I'm glad you had a good trip. I love road trips! Sorry about the car trouble though :/