Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chicken Biryani


I had no idea what to make for dinner tonight, so I decided to wing it, and ended up creating something great!  I'd say its very similar to chicken biryani that I've had in East Indian restaurants, so that's what I'll call it.  Don't you love it when throwing random things together actually turns into something worth making again! 


Chicken Biryani
(makes 1 large portion, or 2 small portions)


1 T coconut oil
1 chicken breast,chopped into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
2 T ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced

1.5 cups water
1/2 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup vermicelli noodles
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
1 star anise
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2-1 tsp salt (to taste)

Heat the oil on medium.  Once hot, add the chicken and cook.  Once almost cooked, add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for just a minute (you want the ginger to still have some crunch to it).  Remove from heat and set aside.  Combine the water, rice, noodles and spices in a pot, and bring to a boil.  Once boiled, cover and move to a burner that is on the lowest setting - time for about 10 minutes.  Check after 10 minutes, see if it needs a bit more water, and check if the rice is done.  It might need a few more minutes.

Once rice is done, stir in with the chicken & aromatics over heat until the chicken is warmed again.

Season to taste and enjoy!


Have you ever had biryani?
Have you made it?

5 comments:

Simply Life said...

wow, this looks straight from a restaurant! what a perfect meal!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I've never had it or made it before.

Kacy said...

I wish I could just whip something like that up on a whim. So amazing! I love biryani, but I've never made it.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I actually had biryani this week as a great of us went to an Indian restaurant on Wednesday. I have to say, it's probably among my least favorite indian dishes, maybe because of my dislike of star of anise and the other sweet flavors that come through? I am not a big sweet & savory combo person. But I could have just had a not so great version of it so would definitely try it again!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Hey Lisa! This one has no sweetness whatsoever! The star anise and cinnamon are undetectable, and probably not even necessary. This is more spicy and gingery.

I'd give biryani a try at a different restaurant. Our favourite Indian restaurant in town has it on their menu, and it too has no sweetness.