Sunday, March 16, 2014

Southern Eggs Benedict

Last weekend we ate nothing but southern food, while we celebrated all weekend long.  One of our breakfasts was eggs benedict with a southern twist.  We had never made eggs benedict before this, but we'll be making it again!  Our version, with a cornbread base, is the best we've ever had.

We made buttermilk cornbread using this recipe.  We then cut out two squares and halved them like you would a bun:




We topped this with butcher cut back bacon:


And soft poached eggs:


We then covered this in a southern hollandaise sauce:


Wow.  Perfection.

I'm going to need this breakfast again very soon.

Do you like eggs benedict?  
Have you ever had it with a cornbread base?  
(If not, you must try it - way better than with an English muffin)

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am not a huge fan of hollandaise sauce as it's a bit rich for me, but I love me some runny yolks so I like the poached egg aspect of that dish! And I am sure it would be soo good on cornbread, but I never would have thought to make it that way!

Nicole said...

I will definitely have to try this. I am an eggs benedict lover, especially when there is a unique twist to the dish.

Wholesale Nuts said...

I love eggs. I gonna try this tonight..