Friday, December 5, 2014

Moose and a Survey

We absolutely love ground moose meat, but you can't buy it in the stores here.  The only way to get some is from someone who hunts.  My lovely friend at work, Monique, knows that we love it, and recently brought me some to work.  We were so excited to make a moose calzone!


We just buy organic pizza dough from Koko (it's fantastic), let it thaw, roll it out and then top it with: pizza sauce, ground moose meat mixed with minced onion, bell pepper, spinach or kale, and any other veggies or pizza toppings we have around the house.  Then, we top it with cheese, fold it over, and bake at 400 F for about 15-20 minutes, watching it closely.


This is one of our favourite dishes.  It's best topped with sriracha.


Now, just for fun ... a little foodie survey that's been floating around the blogosphere.

Breakfast 
Favorite cereal as a child?
Frosted Mini Wheats.
Coffee or Tea? With milk or without?
I've stopped drinking coffee every day, and now drink tea all day long, and usually just coffee on the weekends, or the odd one during the week.  I don't put milk in my tea.  I drink green, mint, chai, whatever I'm feeling that day.  But, that being said, I absolutely love both coffee and tea.
The one food you eat most often at breakfast.
This changes, as I'll eat the same thing for breakfast every day for two weeks, and then switch it to something else every day for about two weeks.  But, I'd say eggs.  And I have to have pink grapefruit juice every morning.

Lunch 
Sandwiches are usually considered lunch food. If you had to choose from a grilled cheese sandwich or a peanut butter and jelly, which would you pick?
Grilled cheese.  Dipped in ketchup.
You can only put four ingredients in your salad (not including greens); what do you throw in the mix? Additionally, which greens and dressing do you pick?
Base: kale, arugula, spinach mixture
Four ingredients: red onion, kalamata olives, goat or feta cheese, tomato
Dressing: lately I've been on a Greek kick, but anything that's not too creamy.
One food you cannot live without at lunch.
It's not a food per se, but protein.  I need protein, or I will be hungry about 10 minutes after lunch. 

Dinner 
It’s the end of the day. You’re tired, hungry, and your fridge is empty.  If fast food (from a chain) is your only option, where do you go and what do you order?
This has never, ever happened to us, so it's a tough question.  Yes, we've come home hungry, tired, and with no groceries and ordered in pizza or Thai, but we've never gone out for fast food for dinner.  If I had to guess, I'd say Subway or Edo Japan.  I'd order a turkey sub, or beef udon soup.
TV/Computer on or off while you are eating?
We don't go on the computer or watch TV while we eat, but we always have music on.  We always sit at the table.
The one food you eat most often at dinner.
No idea.  Maybe rice.  Or soup.  We're constantly switching it up.

Dessert 
Choose between two American desserts: cheesecake or apple pie.
I'm not a big dessert fan, but I do love cheesecake. 
Choose between two foreign desserts: tiramisu (Italy) or flan (Spain).
Tiramisu.
Ice cream: How about frozen yogurt ... in a cup.

Happy Friday Friends!!
What are you up to this weekend?  Answer one, some or all of the survey questions in the comments section!

2 comments:

Amber said...

My in-laws regularly give us moose and I really enjoy it too! We make moose chili a lot and they also had some really amazing moose pepperoni sausages made up last time. The only thing I will say about eating moose is I don't really enjoy the smell of it cooking.. My favourite way to cook it is to put it in the crockpot all day while I'm gone so I don't actually have to smell it cooking :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I don't eat fast food either, but one quick chain place that we love is Chipotle so that is our go to if we don't have groceries and don't feel like cooking. This was a fun survey to read!!