Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Eats this Week

On Sunday evening we BBQd some salmon; we served it with a spicy, gingery, cucumber salad.  I saw the salad in Food Network Magazine, and it looked good.  We'll definitely be making it again.


Asian Cucumber Salad
(Source: Adapted slightly from Food Network Magazine)

3 T rice vinegar
1 T sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt

1 lb thinly sliced cucumber
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 thinly sliced green onions
1/2 small Thai red chili
2 T pickled ginger
1 T sesame seeds

Mix the first four ingredients, then toss with the rest.  Top with more cilantro if desired.

Enjoy!

On Monday night we had an amazing Thai bowl.  We had made a similar bowl before, but Christopher had some ideas throughout the day that he thought would make it even better ... and he was right.


We fried up some curried rice, and mixed it with seasoned pork.  Over that was a sauce mixture with lime, fish sauce, and sugar.  Everything was topped with fresh, raw, ginger, green onion, sprouts, cilantro and chilies.   Next time we'll keep better track of measurements so I can share a recipe with all you lovely readers.


It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time - crispy, tangy, fresh, and fantastic!

Last night we made chicken biryani, using this recipe that I wrote a couple years ago. 


It was just as good as I remembered, and very easy to make.  If you want to try cooking with Indian flavours at home, this would be a good recipe to start with.


It's only Wednesday, and we've already had some pretty great meals this week!  We're cooking up another decadent dish tonight.

How's your week going?  What have you been cooking? 

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oh my gosh, so much good stuff in this post. My cilantro is growing like crazy due to all of the rain and warm weather we've had lately so I need to make that salad since it calls for cilantro! And I am going to book mark that biryani to make sometime because Phil and I LOVE biryani!

My week has been kind of hectic as I had a work trip Sun-Tues. I haven't eaten much that is very notable but tonight I tried an easy recipe for a banana pancake which was really good and easy to make! I haven't cooked much lately since I have been gone so much but this weekend I am planning to make some lentil meat balls with tomato basil marinara and now I might make that chicken biryani, too!