Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Comfort Foods

We've had comfort foods the past few evenings ...

On Sunday evening we cooked up a big pot of spaghetti and a meat sauce.  We used some new ingredients we picked up recently, including Indonesian long pepper, Italian black truffle oil, and organic, mountain oregano.  In addition to that we added a couple splashes of red wine, Parmesan cheese, tomato products, onion, garlic, more spices, and the meat of course.


Spaghetti is one of my all-time favourite meals. 


On Monday evening we had perogies (Indian fusion) with the potato/pea mixture spiced like a samosa.  We topped them with sour cream and green onions.  They were really good, but next time we'd add more spices to the mixture; they weren't strong enough for us.


Last night we made a roast beef dinner.  We did the roast in the oven, with potatoes.  We used the drippings from the roast to make gravy


I've always made gravy from scratch - it really is easy to do.  When I was a kid my parents often put me in charge of the gravy (usually for Turkey dinners), so I've been making it for at least a good 20 some years.

We also whipped up some Yorkshire pudding.  It had been years since I had made Yorkshire pudding (12 years actually), but I remember my mom making them a lot, and Christopher grew up eating them all the time, and I remembered them being really easy to make.  I was right. 

They were a breeze.


They turned out beautifully - super soft, but also perfectly crispy at the same time.

All together now ...


The potatoes are hiding in the picture, but they were just quartered potatoes, seasoned, and cooked in a bit of flavoured olive oil.

What have you been cooking this week?  Do you like Yorkshire pudding?  Have you ever made them? 

4 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I haven't cooked this week but last weekend i bake a vegetarian lasagna that I had assembled and froze weeks ago and then I assembled and froze a butternut squash lasagna which I'll serve on Friday when I host my family (along with a traditional ground beef one that I assembled/froze the weekend before). Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so a lot of cooking will be happening at my brother's house and I will pitch in where needed. I'm bringing a shredded brussel sprout salad (recipe: http://iowagirleats.com/2015/10/23/fall-shredded-brussels-sprouts-salad/) and the veggie tray/dips.

All of the comfort food you've made lately looks so good!

Amber said...

You guys cook more amazing, homemade meals in a week than I do in an entire month! Or even in an entire year probably :) So when are you going to open up a restaurant??

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys really know how to eat well, which is why I LOVE your blog. Keep up the great posts so we can live vicariously through your amazing gastronomical journey!!

Your avid reader!
:)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Wow, thanks for the nice comments ladies!! Who is anonymous? - show yourself, hahah! :-) I appreciate the kind words!