Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Mary Macleod's Shortbread - Review

The kind people at Mary Macleod's Shortbread offered to send me some goodies to try, including a 4" round of their most popular shortbread cookie, Chocolate Crunch, and a bag of Shortbread Butterscotch Crumbs.  Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to try these goodies.


Mary Macleod founded the Canadian company in 1981, and her shortbread took off.  The company is based in Toronto, and was the first in Canada dedicated to making shortbread.  The all-butter shortbread cookies are made in small batches with high-quality ingredients.  There are numerous flavours to try, and they come in all different sizes and types of packages.  Check out the different packages here.


I loved the addition of chocolate in the shortbread cookies, which I had never had before.  It definitely does give them a nice added texture.  I also absolutely love that these cookies were bite-sized.  I don't eat a lot of sweets, but popping one of these in my mouth after dinner is just the perfect little treat. 


Shortbread are one of my favourite types of cookies, but I've only ever made the traditional type myself.  I look forward to trying Mary Macleod's Espresso Dark Chocolate and Rolled Coconut shortbread one day - they sound so good. 

When I saw the Butterscotch Shortbread Crumbs, I knew exactly what I was going to use them for - an over-the-top topping for an apple crisp.


I made apple crisp, used the regular oatmeal-based topping, and then, because the crispy part of apple crisp is the best part, I added a good couple of handfuls of the Butterscotch Shortbread Crumbs as well.  Ooooooh my!


The addition of the shortbread crumbs totally took the apple crisp over the edge.  The butterscotch flavour is pure perfection with the apple.  I don't think I'll make an apple crisp without the addition of these crumbs from now on.  You could just use them as the crisp part, without your usual topping ... or you could be wild like me and just double up on the crunchy stuff.


I don't like following the rules, if breaking the rules is tastier.

This apple crisp did not last long in our house; I'm already planning on making another.

Do you like shortbread?  Have you tried Mary Macleod's shortbread?
You can check out the website, or order some here.  

Full Disclosure:  The cookies and crumbs were provided to me free of charge.  All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I don't think I have ever had shortbread, actually! And now I likely never will due to my gluten intolerance. :( These sounds good, though, and the addition to your apple crisp sounds amazing!! I loooooove apple crisp and the addition of a butterscotch flavor sounds amazing!