Saturday, April 30, 2016

Bright, Sunny Weekend

Getting up in the morning lately has been so nice, as the sun is shining brightly through all the windows, making the sky happy, and me even happierBreakfasts all week looked like this:


I had a couple of pieces of toasted homemade bread (loaded with butter), melon with Greek yogurt & PB, and ruby-red grapefruit juice to drink.

On Thursday evening we made Thai laab moo, and ate it in lettuce wraps.  You make basically a Thai version of pico de gallo, toast and grind some rice to add for crunch, add an insane amount of lime, and mix that with ground pork.  It's so flavourful, and was perfect wrapped up in the large lettuce leaves.

 
 
 
 

We've made this pork salad before, but served it with rice.  When it comes to a recipe for this dish, we just wing it, adding shallot, cilantro, limes, red chilies, green onion, and salt to taste.  In a dry saucepan, we add about 5 T of Jasmine rice, and toast that up for about 15 minutes on low-med/low, then process it into a powder, and add that to the meat for crunch.  We like it served warm.

Yesterday evening we picked up a few groceries, and then made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.  I could eat this dinner once a week; it's so satisfying.


This morning Christopher is making breakfast, as he usually does on the weekends.  He's so cute though; he brought the skillets over to me where I'm blogging, so I could see how good they look before they go into the oven.


Mmmm, can't wait to eat 'em!

It's going to be an absolutely beautiful weekend, and we have nothin' to do but visit (and eat) with family, and enjoy the gorgeous weather.

What are you up to this weekend?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum, those skillets look so good. That's my kind of breakfast! The lettuce wraps you made sound really good, too. I never would have thought to toast rice to add some crunch/texture. I'll have to try that sometime!

This weekend was super busy and productive for us as I moved most of my stuff to Phil's, made 3 meals to freeze so we have things to eat when I am recovering from surgery, and we bought and assembled an IKEA dresser (which took sooooo long).